Friday, February 13, 2009

IT'S SO HARD TO SAY I'M SORRY!

Latest: This article was published in STAR Paper on Sunday (15th Feb. 2009)

Nowadays, as I am growing older, I tend to read more about politics in this country. And the more I read them, the more I feel frustated about the latest happenings. I was just telling my wife the other day, I don't see any politicians, from both the ruling government and opposition parties saying the magical word, "I am sorry. I was wrong." Not one. The most powerful leader in the world, President Barack Obama, just less than a month in office, declared unwaveringly, "I screwed up!". I believe the morals of the younger generation is mostly caught than taught and our so-called leaders have failed them.


Why aren't leaders apologising? The main reason I believe is that to them saying sorry means being weak. They wanted people to view them as infallible so that they could maintain their popularity. Therefore, politicians are constantly weighing the consequences of saying sorry. The worse of it all is to cover up the blunders made or to blame others for their own mistakes.


The ability to apologize says a great deal about a person. It speaks of one who takes responsibility for his or her action. If it's wrong, it's wrong and there are no two ways about it. The admission of wrongs reflects a person with integrity unless he or she does it again and again. How the youth today need this truth, genuinely shown by conscentious adults and especially those who are leading this country forward. Saying sorry is a strength and a virtue.


PS: The above article will be posted to STAR newspapers.

No comments: