Friday, October 8, 2010

LEE KUAN YEW AND KWA GEOK CHOO


I have to be frank with everyone. I dislike politics for their twists and turns and politicians have to often side step their principles for public acceptance. Maybe I have seen and heard too much of bad politics here in Malaysia. But just across the causeway, a country almost birthed at the same time as us tells a different story. A story I came to admire. Of course I heard of many Singaporeans looking down on Malaysians and there will not always be perfection yet I salute these two Singaporean icons.

Just few days ago, the beautiful wife of Singapore founding leader Lee Kuan Yew passed away to the sadness of most Singaporeans and many Malaysians as well. I read many things said about her and I found nothing negative about this towering woman. Surely a life well lived!

I received an email from one of my church members, Peter Kuan and I liked what he said. Here it goes....

Hi everyone, For 1 leader to change the habits and behaviour of so many people, making professionals out of gangsters and hooligans all in a matter of a few decades is a miracle. Singapore went from being a backward society with almost zero natural resources to an advance society with per capita income comparable to the most advanced societies in the world, with almost 90% of its population owning their own house is no small feat. That 1 leader is Lee Kuan Yew whom I always admired and respect. My respect now extend to this man seen not only as a great leader but also as a wonderful and dedicated loving husband.Though LKY is not a Christian, but like Christian who swear before God in their marriage vow; LKY took his wife in sickness and in happiness and until death do they part.Personally I think I have learnt from LKY and I still have a lot more to learn from him.

Peter Kuan

I pray for you, Lee Kuan Yew, to soldier on not only for Singapore but for the good of the whole world.

No comments: