Tuesday, June 16, 2009

PALAU, I SALUTE YOU!



I read an interesting article in the Star Paper today concerning one of the smallest countries in the world, Palau. 191 square miles - Palau (also known as Belau) was a Trust Territory of the United States. It was formerly known as the Carolines and is composed of more than 200 islands in the Pacific; the population is about 20,000. It became independent in 1994.


The population is mostly Catholics and what excites me is that they lived out the gospel truth. You see, there are some unwanted people in the world today, namely, Guantanomo Bay Chinese Muslims prisoners called the Uighurs (Pronouced Wee-gurz) and some Myamarese refugees and Palau receive them with love. President Obama searched 100 countries to house those Chinese but to no avail until Palau agreed to receive them with open arms. Recently the Myamarese refugees went there because their government persecute them and other countries want to deport (send) them back home.


Palau receive them with gladness and feed them too. The priests there were actively involved in helping and what thrilled me was what they said, "Whenever we see people in need, we help. No question asked!" Stuart Beck, an American lawyer who is Palau’s permanent United Nations representative summed it well. “From the time the first British vessel hit a reef in Palau in 1783, it has welcomed refugees.”


Christians today need to be doers of the Word and not hearers only! People don't care about Christianity until you care. The Palau Christians had shown a clear example of how our faith in Christ is a practical faith and not just inward religious piety.


(Mat 25:34-40) "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' (Jesus)

No comments: